Friday, May 29, 2009

Let's Dance...

Today was dance recital day! We started our morning off with a little extra time spent on the hair - and some extra pins and hairspray (I have to say I think I was semi-channeling a pageant mom with all the shalacking and pinning).  Then to make things easy for the big change later - I had her wear her tights and she also decided to wear her ballet shoes to school - eh, why not - it's the end of the year and they will be retired for a few months, might as well get as much use of them as possible. 

I dropped her off at school then ran (er, drove) to work, work for 45, back in car, pick up flowers (because flower shops do not open until 9 a.m.- which is wrong, but of course only on the day I need them - shouldn't they have ESP in to my life - ha ha) drive back to school and take a seat to await the performance.  

Now in between, before, and after all of this getting ready and running around a series of technical difficulties happened:

(1) My primary camera ran out of battery on Tuesday night - no problem, just needs a charge - well, no problem becomes problem when I can not find the charger - it has vanished (again, of course when I need it). Okay, move to plan B -old camera. 

(2) Fine, take old camera with me to work, insert photo card - that has 2 available pics - not enough, so delete photos that can be - end up with 22 available pics. Insert new batteries, test and try to remember how to work it - pack it in purse for later. 

(3) Arrive at school and turn on plan B camera - plan B camera does NOT turn on, I repeat does NOT turn on. Seriously? Delete two photos from camera phone just in case, move batteries around in plan B camera (and pray) to try and get it to work - camera TURNS ON!!!! (and camera was not turned off until I was sure pic moments were over - not chancing that).

And, then.... commence recital. 

This year there were two groups, so the younger group went first and Morgan's group second. When it becomes her turn, she gets up, finds her place, music turns on.......well, she did dance occasionally, but then she would take breaks and have the grump face, or chew on her dress (not sure - but I have a pic to prove it) - but she always participated in the spinning. On two of the songs they got to spin - like square dance type spinning and those moments she never missed. She was more engaged by the third dance - the rutabaga. 

I do have to admit that I again channeled the pageant mom from the audience thing - I found myself moving my head back and forth in the happy smiley way to encourage her to do the same and keep dancing. I can't believe I did that - but I did. Ah well, my movements were small and minimal - don't think I drew attention, I know I did not gain much of a reaction from little miss. 

When she finished Bob presented her with her roses (two white ones with a pink ribbon because pink is her favorite color). All in all she did well and she was happy to get her flowers, this was a big thing last year that I did not realize, so this year we came prepared. She carried them into her classroom and kept them with her - both made it home safely and are now featured in a vase on her dresser.

No comments: